Bacon & Eggs Barbecue Breakfast Pizza
Eggs & Bacon Barbecue Breakfast Pizza has your favourite breakfast foods with stretchy cheese and crispy crust. Life, and breakfast, do not get any better than this.
Break. Fast. Pizza. (pauses added for dramatic effect).
Eggs, bacon, onions, hash browns, mushrooms and kale- I’m healthy like that- spread on a crisp crust and covered with cheese.
Yup. I went there. Your two favourite things come together to create an absolutely epic meal.
I so so SO went there and I am never ever coming home. I want to live in a world where I eat this each and every breakfast forever and ever.
So I ripped out a recipe for a breakfast pizza from my Food Network Magazine probably three years ago. Now, normally when I rip out recipes they go into my “try” folder. Once I have tried them and they get TGB’s seal of approval, they then get put into my “good” recipe binder. This recipe binder is huge and all the recipes are in plastic page protectors and organized by meal type.
Slightly OCD, I know. But when you cook as much as I do, its worth it to be organized.
Let’s just say this breakfast pizza bypassed the try phase and went straight to the good binder. I took one look at this recipe and was like how the heck can this NOT be delicious. No trial needed, you’ve just been promoted.But weirdly, in the three years since I ripped the recipe out, I never actually took the plunge and made it. It just lived in its little plastic page protector in the Breakfast section and taunted me. “Make me” it said, “I bet I am delicious.”
Well here I am three years later tellin’ ya, it is. While the recipe I ripped out of the magazine so many moons ago definitely inspired this recipe (eggs and bacon on a pizza!) my version definitely ended up being completely different.
Because I am… particular… I make everything from scratch for this pizza. But if you’re not as particular as me you could definitely buy pre-made hash browns and pizza crust (which is what the original recipe called for). Personally, I make my pizza crust in my bread maker because I live in 1993 and think a bread maker is still a cool and relevant appliance.
You NEED to try this. If you have a sweety in your life and you make Eggs & Bacon Barbecue Breakfast Pizza for breakfast, expect marriage proposals, declarations of undying love and for the whole thing to be positively devoured.
- 1 recipe pizza dough, homemade or frozen
- 1½ cup grated potatoes or store-bought hash browns
- 2 tbsp. each butter and olive oil divided
- ½ tsp. each salt, pepper and paprika
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, fried or baked until crisp
- 1½ cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup frozen kale
- 1 tbsp. cornmeal
- 5 eggs
- ½ ball fresh mozzarella thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated parmesan cheese
- For the sauce:
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup bbq sauce
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- If making the hash browns: rinse the potatoes well until the water runs clear and dry thoroughly. Melt 1 tbsp butter and olive oil in a frying pan and add the potatoes. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika and cook over medium heat until crispy, turning occasionally. About 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook bacon.
- Remove hash browns from pan and set aside. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and butter to same pan. Add mushrooms and onions and sauté until golden. Add kale and remove from heat and cover until defrosted.
- Mix together sauce ingredients.
- Sprinkle a metal pizza pan with cornmeal and stretch pizza dough until thin. Spread with sauce, bacon, hash browns and vegetable mixture. Make wells into the toppings and crack the eggs into the wells. Arrange the mozzarella slices over the pizza. Sprinkle the entire pizza with parmesan.
- Bake at 475° until the cheese is browned, the dough is crispy and the eggs are your desired consistency, 16-18 minutes.
- Personally, I like to grate fresh pepper over the whole thing once its out of the oven.