Steak & Potatoes Grilled Caesar Salad
Your favourite steak house meal in salad form, Steak & Potatoes Grilled Caesar Salad is made with a homemade oil & vinegar dressing and grilled to perfection. This will satisfy even the most devout carnivores.
So about a week ago, I shared my Strawberry Explosion Salad and talked about how it wasn’t the farmer’s favourite meal I have ever made. I laughed as I typed that I wasn’t surprised that he really didn’t like it (salad…for dinner? What was I thinking?). But that thought sparked something with me… could I make a salad for dinner that he would like?
And then in most recent issue (May 2017) of the Food Network Magazine there was a steak and potato salad and bingo! Now THAT would be right up the farmer’s alley. So with that as my starting point I got to work. I have been making this AMAZING homemade oil and vinegar caesar salad dressing for some time so I knew I was going to use that… but I recently saw on a menu a caesar salad with grilled romaine.
And honestly, I just didn’t get it.
Why would you wilt lettuce… on purpose?
But I tried it. And guys, I get it. I’m not sure if I’ll make caesar salad any other way. It was over the top good and only took like two minutes extra. Still crispy from the charr, it was like a smokier version of your average caesar salad.
If you’ve always been stuck on a creamy caesar dressing, please give this one a chance. I can honestly say that up until about three years ago, I was convinced that Renee was destined for sainthood for her amazing caesar dressing. But that was until I started making this dressing and after the first time I made it, there just no going back.
You can go as elaborate or simple on the steak as you would like. Personally, I just put some Worcestershire sauce and Montreal steak spice on mine and grilled to medium. Easy and delicious, but if you have a marinade or flavour combination you already love, use that!
You don’t need to spend hundreds at your favourite steakhouse. Stay in the comfort of your own home, open a bottle of red wine and make this Steak & Potato Grilled Caesar Salad for an amazing date night in!
Dressing adapted from the Urban Baker
- 1 head romaine
- 3 strips of thick-cut bacon
- ½ of a 1.5 lb bag of baby potatoes, halved
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large or two small sirloin steaks, seasoned and grilled how you like them
- ¼ c grated parmesan cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tsp. anchovy paste
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 5 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- juice and zest of one lemon
- 15 grinds (~1 tsp) ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp honey mustard
- 1 cup olive oil
- For the dressing:
- In a food processor, pulse 3 cloves of the garlic until minced. Scrape down the sides and add anchovy paste, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire, zest, lemon juice, pepper, honey mustard and mix thoroughly. Scrape down sides again. With food processor running, drizzle in olive oil in a steady stream. Pour into container with a tight fitting lid and store up to two weeks in fridge.
- For the salad:
- Preheat grill to high.
- Place the halved potatoes on a large sheet of tinfoil and season with salt and pepper, 1 tbsp of olive oil and the minced garlic. Close tinfoil and wrap in a second piece of tinfoil.
- Turn grill down to medium and place potatoes on grill. Grill 10 minutes per side and then move to upper rack for an additional 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels.
- Once the potatoes are on the upper rack, grill the steak (I found 4 minutes per side on medium-high heat for a medium- cooked steak). Remove to a plate and cover loosely with tinfoil.
- Place leaves of romaine lettuce in a single layer on grill. Close lid and grill for approximately two minutes until the leaves are charred at the edges.
- Add the potatoes, bacon and parmesan to a large bowl. Slice the steak, chop the lettuce and add to the bowl. Dress with the dressing and serve!