Summer Bounty Grilled Panzanella Salad
Looking for a salad to use up everything your garden, CSA box or local farmer’s market is giving you? Well look no further than Summer Bounty Grilled Panzanella Salad. Loaded with summer produce like tomatoes, corn, peppers, zucchini and onion and grilled to perfection with chicken and crisp sourdough bread croutons… A perfect summer dinner awaits.
This is the first summer that I haven’t had a garden. I’m a little sad about it to be honest.
Last summer I convinced the farmer, despite being heavily pregnant, that I could still have a garden. He said “I am going to end up with all the work!” “No, I replied I am strong, capable, independent woman who can garden despite carrying around a watermelon on her front. I am pregnant not dead.”I cited his 93-year-old grandma who had 11 children and had an acre garden whilst carrying said children. “If she can do it, I can do it” I said firmly. I would be fine.
Cue, not being fine.
The farmer ended up doing all the weeding (while COMPLAINING LOUDLY THAT I SAID I COULD DO IT). Then I delivered my little dude 3 weeks early, basically missing everything good in my garden while being in the hospital for a week following the delivery. And the nail in the coffin was being way to busy with a newborn to can or preserve anything that came out of the garden like I would. I am ashamed to say that a lot went to waste.So the farmer put his foot down- no garden this year. We can just buy fresh produce from our Mennonite neighbours for pennies on the dollar anyways.
But still there is something to be said about growing your own food and canning and preserving it. I love it, I don’t think I am going to last not having a garden because I already miss it. What else forces you to dream up new and exciting ways to use zucchini since your plant is on steroids and pumping out more veggies than you can handle? Its a culinary adventure!
By the way, this Summer Bounty Grilled Panzanella Salad would be amazinggggg for that. I would eat this every night if I could. Grill up your favourite veggies, chicken and sourdough bread and toss it in a light vinaigrette for an easy, healthy and delicious summer meal. Keep the croutons separate and it tastes great the next day too.
For the record summer is not ending anytime soon. WE STILL HAVE TIME PEOPLE!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- ½ cup olive oil + more for vegetables
- 1 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. each dried basil and oregano
- ½ tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cobs of corn
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red onion
- 2 cup halved mushrooms
- ½ loaf of sourdough bread cut into 1 inch slices
- ⅓ cup packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- For the dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey mustard
- Mix together the lemon juice and zest, olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes and garlic and marinate chicken breasts for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Chop vegetables into large chunks suitable for grilling. Toss the chopped vegetables in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in one layer on hot grill and grill until charred, about 3 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side. Remove and set aside.
- Remove chicken from marinade and rub corn cobs with olive oil, place on grill. Grill until corn is charred on all sides and chicken is cooked to a temperature of 160°. Remove and set aside.
- Place slices of sourdough on grill and grill until brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and repeat on other side.
- Meanwhile whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Chop the sourdough slices, grilled chicken and vegetables into 1 inch square chunks, Slice corn kernels from cob. Add to tomatoes and basil in large bowl and toss in vinaigrette. Serve immediately.